Get Paid to Care for a Loved Ones

We’ll Check to See if You’re Eligible to Apply

Fill out this form to find out

Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy

Care for Loved Ones, Get Paid in Philadelphia

Pennsylvania’s Department of Human Services will cover the costs of your home care and allow you to choose a family member to be your paid caregiver.

Perhaps the most common scenario is when elderly parents with a disability have children who are their caregivers. A child can get paid to care for their parent (mother or father). However, the process for applying for government assistance for people with family caregivers, and the eligibility rules that govern who qualifies are often unclear. We have developed this guide to help you understand how the program works, answer your questions, and give you the tools you’ll need to enroll.

The information provided in this guide is for the “Community Healthchoices” program which is by far the largest program available for this type of service. However, there are other programs that may be more appropriate for your particular situation.

Who Can I Hire as a Caregiver?

Patient Bliss Home Care Agency is a contracted PAS provider with the Department of Human Services that allows the participant to choose who they would love to take care of them to maintain the independence in their own residency.
☑ Child
☑ Relative
☑ Friends
☒ Legal Spouse

There are two important categories for which you must qualify in order to be eligible for services: Clinical and Financial.

Clinical Eligibility
This means that you must be determined to require home care. While there are many technical aspects to this, we recommend that you ask yourself if you need home care before applying.

Financial Eligibility
Financial eligibility is broken down into two parts: income and assets. 

  • Income is money coming in on a steady basis such as Social Security or a Pension.
  • Assets refer to what the consumer has on hand such as money in bank accounts.

Non-Married Consumers qualify for services if their monthly income is less than $2,382 and their assets are less than $8,000. 
Married consumers are allowed higher limits depending on their circumstances. Additionally, consumers with income above the limits can often still qualify for services by what is know as “spend-down”. 

Calculations for financial eligibility can become quite complex and we have not attempted to break down every circumstance. Please note, however, that consumers that avoid applying because they think they are ineligible financially may well be doing themselves a disservice. In many cases, it may be worthwhile to apply and to receive a determination. You will then gain insight into your options. Additionally, some consumers may benefit from seeking professional counsel to learn their eligibility options.

0 +

High Quality Caregivers

Our Team receives quality training and support!

0 +

Years of expertise

We've offered in-home care services since 1986

0 %

Patient Satisfaction

We provide high-quality health care to all of our patients

# 99

Home Care Agency

Leading Philadelphia's Home Care services provider

3 Easy Steps to Receiving Care from a Loved One

How Does it Work?
Asset 1

Get assessed

Our representative will visit you at home to determine if you’re eligible for the program. You’ll find out how many weekly hours of care you can get.

Asset 2

Choose a caregiver

You choose a caregiver: your daughter, son, relative, or friend. We come to your home to enroll you in the program.

Asset 1

You get care — they get paid

You choose a caregiver: your daughter, son, relative, or friend. We come to your home to enroll you in the program.

Happy Customers

Our clients love us, here are a few of their reviews

Read More
I highly recommend this agency to everyone. The staff is professional, caring, and friendly. Any questions or concerns that I have, they take care of it immediately. I have had an excellent experience throughout my time at Patient Bliss.


We understand that you might have questions about our home care services. Here are some of the most commonly asked questions and their answers.

Home health care encompasses a variety of services designed to support clients of all ages, spanning from children to seniors, as they enjoy the familiarity and comfort of their own homes. Whether recuperating from a hospital stay or proactively seeking to avoid hospitalization, our certified caregivers and medical professionals deliver personalized care, empowering patients to sustain their independence and uphold their desired quality of life. To explore the full spectrum of home health care services, we invite you to visit our “Services” page.

Home care waivers, also referred to as waiver funded services, are state-level programs tailored for individuals seeking long-term care while preferring to stay within the familiar confines of their own home. These programs, supported by Medicaid, necessitate adherence to specific eligibility criteria and completion of an application process.

A person must:

  • Have a medical need for long-term care services — A doctor must complete a form telling the department of the medical need. This form is then reviewed by a department-approved agent. The agent will tell the county assistance office if services are needed.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or a qualified non-citizen
  • Be a resident of Pennsylvania
  • Have a social security number

For one person:

  • If your income is below or equal to 300 percent of the FBR (currently $2,130), the resource limit is $2,000 with an additional $6,000 resource disregard.
  • If your income is above 300 percent of the FBR (currently $2,130), the resource limit is $2,400.
  • Many individuals pay for LTC with personal funds and eventually reduce their resources to the Medicaid LTC limits.

Most income is counted, including:

  • Social security
  • Pensions
  • Interest and dividends from savings and investments
  • Rental income
  • Withdrawals from an IRA
  • Income Limits (for one person)
  • For non-money payment (NMP) categories, the limit is 300 percent of the federal benefit rate (FBR), which changes annually. For 2013, the individual income limit is $2,130.
  • For medically needy only (MNO) categories, the limit is $2,550 (semi-annual net income)
  • If your income exceeds 300 percent of the FBR limit, the anticipated cost of long-term care facility services for a 6-month period is an allowable medical expense deduction to reduce monthly income.

Examples of resources that are counted:

  • Bank accounts
  • Stocks, bonds, and mutual funds
  • IRA and Keogh accounts
  • Non-resident property
  • Cash value of life insurance — if the face value of all policies is greater than $1,500 per person (the first $1,000 of cash value is excluded)

Examples of resources not counted:

The home:

  • If the value of the home is less than or equal to $525,000 and you intend to return to the home or are residing in it
  • If a spouse or dependent resides in the home
    One motor vehicle
    All burial spaces/plots including those with a marker
    Revocable and irrevocable burial reserves subject to specified limits

NOTE: The resources of a parent who is applying for or receiving HCBS and is living with their child who is under the age of 21 are excluded.

Not all consumers receive the same number of hours. In fact, there are often vast differences between consumers in the number of hours for which they are approved. Usually, your Medicaid Managed Care Organization (MCO) will make the final determination on how many hours of care you will receive coverage for.

Your caregiver’s hourly pay rate and salary may depend on a number of factors.

Yes. Children can get paid for taking care of their parents.

Spouses are not allowed to be paid caregivers as they are considered legally responsible for each other.

Spouses are not allowed to be paid caregivers as they are considered legally responsible for each other.

It depends. Parents can get paid for taking care of adult children. However, parents cannot get paid to care for minor children for whom they are legally responsible.

Yes. Grandparents can get paid for taking care of their grandchildren.

Yes. A child can get paid for taking care of their mother (mom) or father (dad).

Spouses are not allowed to be paid caregivers as they are considered legally responsible for each other.

Spouses are not allowed to be paid caregivers as they are considered legally responsible for each other.

Yes. Family caregivers are required to have the same level of training as any other caregiver. But don’t worry if your family member has not yet received training. We can help with the training and certification process and it is usually not a big inconvenience.

Unfortunately, Medicare does not provide significant coverage for non-medical home care (also referred to as “custodial” or “personal care”). This includes such care received from family members. However, having Medicare is certainly not a reason that you do not qualify. You can have Medicare and also apply for Pennsylvania’s Community Healthchoices program.

Skip to content